Best Hockey Quotes of 2009

Brian Burke was undeniably the most quotable person in Hockey in 2009. Here are a few of his gems:

In his first off season in charge of the Maple Leafs discussing the future makeup of his team:
"I don't give a rat's ass what they do in Pittsburgh or Detroit. There's been four different Cup winners the last four years, and I got one of them (Anaheim) and it was a fighting team. We're playing it that way regardless."
Burke again, after the Leafs began the season 0-6-1:
"I want to be in Toronto for a long, long time. I'd like this to be my last job in hockey. I just hope it's not after the next month or two."
"I will personally challenge anyone who wants to get rid of fighting to a fight."

Check out more classic Brian Burke Quotes.

 Brett Hull during his induction speech for the Hockey Hall of Fame:
"I accept this honour for all those playing pickup, beer league and senior hockey who never got the opportunity that I did. For every mom up a five who drives to practice; to every dad working overtime to buy equipment and a pair of tickets to take his kids to an NHL game. To every teammate that sacrificed, to every trainer that patched me up and every stick boy that brought me a cold one after a game."



"I can't complain because I was trying to sucker-punch (Alex) Burrows. It's karma."
Canadiens forward Gregory Stewart after being asked whether he was upset about being sucker-punched by Vancouver Canucks defenceman Shane O'Brien.


"Most teams still play cards, but we've just got a bunch of nerds on our team that play computers. The Nerd Herd - 'Take me to your leader.' "
Former Calgary Flames defenceman Adrian Aucoin.

"We're going to make him a lefty, so we are going to tie his right hand behind him and see if we can get him to throw lefts right off the bat.
Darcy Hordichuk on the arrival of his first child, son Braden Walker, in February.

"When he's not injured or acting like a self-centred little dink, he's a very good player,"
Mike Milbury on Buffalo centre Tim Connolly as he was describing highlights of a Sabres win over the Toronto Maple Leafs for NESN.

"He just plays stupid sometimes."
The L.A. Kings Sean O'Donnell on Dion Phaneuf after he slammed the head of Kings star Anze Kopitar into the glass.




Canucks Mikael Samuelsson on being left off the Swedish Olympic team for the 2010 games:
“I pretty much have one comment and maybe I'll regret it. But they can go BEEEP themselves. That's what I really think,”


Hillary Duff, Mike Comrie's girlfriend in a Rachel Ray interview:

"I like to sit in the audience, you know I don't sit up in a box or anything, and people started to know that I'm sitting there, and they'll be like 'Mike sucks!' Or try to rile me up. And I'm like, 'Hey, watch it! I'll come up there, you know.'"

(See more NHL Players Girlfriends)

John Tortorella:

Dec 16 / 09 after a loss against the Islanders:

"What is the remedy? I don't know how you want me to answer that."

"Play [BLEEP'n] harder."

"I'll tell you right now, the thing that's unacceptable about tonight's game and we're trying to stay positive around here, trying to work our way through it, but when we play like [BLEEP] like that for 20 minutes in a game like this in a back-to-back situation, it's unacceptable.

I wish I could give you a [BLEEP'n] explanation about it. I can't."




Don Cherry on neurologist Charles Tator. 
"I don't give a [expletive] about him"

When approached for comment about Tator's claim that Cherry is a "negative influence" in the fight against head injuries, the star of Coach's Corner dismissed Tator's allegation with a series of profane remarks.


Anaheim  rookie Dan Sexton after scoring his first two NHL goals in his third NHL game ever.
"I'd say it was  probably the coolest feeling. Take my coolest previous feeling and multiply it by 10, if not more."


"He'd be so keen at times he'd be in front of the net catching pucks in his teeth"
Mason Raymond on his family's border collie, Champ, on the outdoor rink on their family's cattle ranch in Cochrane, Alberta.

"I like a beer. I like to eat lots of food. Fact is, I need help.”
Pat Quinn Joins Herbal Magic Program as Client and Spokesperson


"I saw those sweaters and I nearly barfed."
Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas, discussing the wretched barberpole replica jerseys of 1912-13 that the Montreal Canadiens wore during a game in February.

"Dirty used to be elbowing a guy behind the play. . . . There were bites in the '80s. I witnessed a few. I saw one teammate get bitten right in the back. Cannibalism was in back then and it's here, too."
Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff, discussing Ruutu's bite of Peters.


"I met a couple of homeless guys on the street who know who I am. If a homeless guy knows his hockey, then you know you're in Montreal."
Hall Gill, an unrestricted free agent who signed a two-year deal with the Canadiens in the off-season.

"It's small-man's syndrome. We know we're better than Finland and they feel bad about that. It's been like that for a long time, but I think it's gotten better ... I've hung out with Finns, though you have to call the government to get permission to hang out with them."
Red Wings defenseman Andreas Lilja, on Finnish-born teammates Valtteri Filppula and Ville Leino.

"I actually told Luke (Schenn) that I was going to room Christian with him and they could play slot cars in their hotel room in Philadelphia, because I assume Christian takes slot cars on the road with him. He probably learned that from his dad."
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson on Christian Hanson, the son of Dave Hanson, who played goon Jack Hanson in the legendary hockey film Slap Shot.

Check out more Slapshot Movie Quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment